History of Mother of Mercy High School
Mother of Mercy High School is sponsored by the Religious Sisters of
Mercy, a religious community founded in 1831 in Dublin, Ireland. The
Sisters from their earliest days were dedicated to the education of
young women and to the needs of the sick and the poor. At this time,
Mother of Mercy is one of more than forty Mercy secondary schools in
the western hemisphere.
Mother of Mercy Villa was founded in
Westwood in 1915 as a result of the changing population in this area of
Cincinnati. Originally planned to be a secondary school for young
women, it was expanded to include elementary students in the early
years at the request of area parents. In 1923 construction of the first
permanent school building was begun and in 1928 the east wing was
added. The school became known as Mother of Mercy Academy. The change
to interparochial status in 1943 by request of Archbishop McNicholas
resulted in a large increase of students from the local parishes as
well as the most recent name, Mother of Mercy High School. Five years
later the school became part of the North Central Association of
As the school continued to grow plans were
made to add an additional building to house a new gym and nine
classrooms. Groundbreaking took place in 1965, and as the building took
shape plans were in place to eliminate the grade school as enrollment
had swelled to such a degree. By 1977 student enrollment in Grade 9-12
reached 875 young women.
With the advent of technology and the
need for more space for science labs, major planning began in the mid
nineties. Through grants and a very successful capital fund drive,
total renovation of the science department took place, followed by the
renovation of the school chapel, the theater and a large investment in
technology. Several classrooms became computer rooms. Meanwhile plans
were in place for the addition of two classrooms to the 1965 building
as well as a major overhaul and enlargement of the gym and accompanying
facilities. The last addition was completed in 1998.
By 2005, Mercy recognized the need to further increase the way in which technology would be available to students. Major planning took place both in what spaces were needed for better learning and what kinds of courses and curriculum changes should be a part of our students' education today. A master plan for the addition of a whole new Technology Wing along with major renovation in the classrooms and other resource areas for students was constructed.
The Tech Wing was begun in the summer of 2007 and was dedicated on September 15, 2007. This wing provides three new computer lab spaces for student use, a Mac Lab, a PC lab, and a Graphics Arts computer lab. These spaces provide up to date equipment for all students and a beautiful and appropriate space to use this equipment. The library media center was a major focus for this addition, provided a beautiful space for students to use technology and other resources. The location of the library off both new main entrances provides a readily available space for students and attracts them to use the learning tools located there. A new TV studio was also added with the intent of providing courses to enhance students' grasp of more complex technology while increasing their ability to communicate effectively.
The main building renovation included a complete renovation of the Guidance Offices to make space for better delivery of services especially in recognition of the importance of the college search process. The small classrooms that had been used for class but were inadequate for current technological needs have become resource areas and offices. Five new large and well equipped classrooms were constructed in the main building allowing students to have space to use equipment and tools currently available
Mother of Mercy has a long and very successful history of updating with new learning styles as needed by society as well as maintaining strong, Christian and family values. Through the wonderful foresight of an excellent staff and parent and alum community, Mercy is a major contributor of highly qualified and principled alums to the Cincinnati and world community.